Wednesday, February 15, 2017

The Next BIG Thing

A few days ago winter tried to make a return in this neck of the woods (or perhaps I should say, this shore of the lake). All in all, it's been a remarkably mild winter and I see that Environment Canada is predicting a high of 8C this weekend. Spring-like. Nonetheless, I have a hankering for a knitted coat. A big knitted coat. Something voluminous, something to wear indoors on chilly days, or outdoors in spring or fall. I want a big shape, with big collar, big wool, and (probably) big buttons. I took a quick tour of Ravelry, looking for elements I liked in coats. There's the Pickles Fall Coat.


I love the neutral colour and the drape at the back of this. I don't love the fact that it doesn't have any buttons, although I notice that a bunch of Ravelers have added I-cord trim and buttonholes to it.

Then there's Regina Moessmer's Polar Coat, shown here as knitted by dreamsbythesea.


What do I love about this? The length and the pockets. Quite apart from their usefulness, pockets allow a coat to be worn with a certain casual slouchiness.

Final example: Drops Designs' Silver Haze.

This is actually more a jacket than a coat, but I really like the collar. It's reminiscent of my own Petrova. A big coat needs a big collar.

So, where does all of this take me? Here.


I've knitted about a third of the coat so far. It's blocking in the winter sunshine. If I like what emerges, expect to see the finished product fairly soon. Big needles + big wool = quick project.

2 comments:

  1. i have been thinking about lace weight mohair and jaggerspun lace weight yarn and super big needles to make an airy but warm coat. It is in my mind and not on paper. just wishing at this stage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete