Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Framing

It's important to get the neckline right when knitting a sweater. After all, the neckline frames the face. I try to keep this in mind both when I choose ready-to-wear pieces, and when I design my own handknits. Let's have some examples:

Shawl Collars           
                                                
Harriet's Jacket in Peace Fleece's "Siberian Midnight"
Zora in my handspun Corriedale, with the Fibonacci Neckerchief filling in the neckline.

Buttonbox in my spindle-spun BFL, showing its shallow, slightly more graceful (in my opinion) collar.
Cossack Collars

Petrova with its slouchy, feminine collar.
A collar should look as good going as coming,

open or closed.
Petrova all buttoned up for the dead of winter (year of the Polar Vortex).
You might not have realized that Glenora has the same collar (minus the buttons and I-cord) as its cousin Petrova--exceptionally face framing!

Here, Cheryl of Little Church Knits exudes the relaxed attitude of this sweater, knitted in Cascade's Eco+.
 Surplice Collars
 
A surplice collar (just like a kimono) is a favourite way to show off a beautiful border
 
and/or shawl pin, as in Wheatsheaves.
It works on all ages. Here I am wearing Frostfern in Hikoo's Kenzie with its soft halo of angora.
The High Collar
The Modern Gansey (feminine version) adds length and height to the body with a tall collar.
V-necks

You can never go wrong with the lengthening properties of a V-neck, in all its forms--collared, as in the Wolfe Island Gansey,

which also illustrates the importance of a collar sitting beautifully across the shoulders,
or not collared, as in this 100% alpaca version of Brookline,
and the Perth Cardi shown here in the same (now discontinued) alpaca yarn.
A V-neck can have a flattering echo in the back, like the Ridgefield Wrap.
A U-neck has the same lengthening properties as a V-neck.
I hope this retrospective look at necklines in my designs highlights their significance. The right one can make a look. So, pay attention!