Friday, April 18, 2014

My (New) Favourite Things

Here they are:
1. My brand-new Denise 2Go needles, from Mary Pat at YOSO. She said I'd love them and boy, do I ever! They're light, the join is silky smooth, the points are perfect (see closeup below), and the case fits in my backpack so easily.


That's a coffee mug in the background, to give you some idea of the scale of this little package of wonderfulness. These have just become my needles of choice.
2. Briggs and Little's "Heritage" in Sheep's Grey.


This is the same colour I used for my MacKay shawl, but in a heavier weight. It's not actually grey. It's somewhere in between grey and brown, and it has the most extraordinary depth because of the myriad of natural tones in it. As usual, it's hard to capture this in a photo. Trust me; it's gorgeous. I've just knitted some swatches in it with my new needles.


The one on the left was done with a US #10 and the one on the right with a US #9. There's a third swatch, done on a US #8 soaking in some warm water, and I think it's THE ONE. Take note--when the swatches were allowed to soak for at least 20 minutes in warm water, they released quite a bit of lanolin into the water--enough to leave it cloudy. The finished yarn will be much softer than the stuff that was knitted. Remember, this is the same wool Elizabeth Zimmermann used for many of her garments. The mill has been making it since the 19th century. It's a classic for a reason.
3. Briggs and Little's "Atlantic" in Seafoam. I wound the skein this morning and can't stop looking at it. Again, it's the amazing depth of colour.


How to describe it? It's a heathery green/blue/grey/turquoise combo that my camera simply cannot do justice to.
4. "Needles in the Hay", the yarn shop in Peterborough where I picked up the last two items. Bridget, the young owner, and I obviously share the same tastes. This is shop where you want to sit down and linger. I just have to get back there. Summer road trip anyone?