Friday, April 4, 2014

Colourless, But Not Boring

I've been working this week with two different types of undyed fibre. Remember that some time ago I announced I would be working with Fibre Roads on a design project involving their beautiful (and relatively local) fibre? Well, I've been working with the Donna, the owner of the mill that's going to do the spinning, Wellington Fibres, to come up with the perfect yarn for my design. How exciting is that? Earlier this week, I received two samples from her.


Both are a 60% alpaca/ 40% blue-faced leicester blend. The one on the left is a 3-ply, while the other is a 2-ply. I quickly knitted up samples of my intended stitch pattern (you'll have to wait to see that--I'm keeping it a surprise), washed, and dried them. All I can tell you at this stage is that the fabric was so light and airy that it dried in only a couple of hours on my sunny windowsill. Gorgeous! So, now Donna will be spinning up the remaining fibre from last year while she awaits some more from this sping's clip. Our plan, as it exists now, is for Janice, of Windblest Farm, to dye some of the yarn in a soft denim blue, while the rest will be offered in a natural silver grey. Stay tuned...
It's my week for wool au naturelle. I'm still working away at the Ferne cardigan (pattern to be available in time for the Toronto Knitters' Frolic), but at the same time, I've been chugging along with my long-term spinning project. Yesterday, I plyed the first skein---about 270 yds of sport-weight BFL softness.
                                                                        
            
















There's a design I have in mind for this, and it's keeping me going through our cold spring.