Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Harriet's Jacket KAL Day 6: Coming Together

I've made this jacket three times before, so why am I always so surprised at how quickly it comes together? Yesterday, with the aid of a long weekend, beautiful weather, and two audiobooks, I completed the right half of the bodice. Then the excitement....
Using both short and long circulars, I placed the back sections of both halves back onto separate needles.


The wooden needle is the 16" circular; the plastic-coated aluminum one is the 24" circular. Here I'm holding them parallel to each other, right sides together, in preparation for working the three-needle bind-off. In the next shot you can see me beginning to knit the first two stitches on each needle together with one of the dpns.


I repeat the process, knitting the second stitches on each needle together, and then I pull the first stitch on the dpn over the second.


I repeat this process until all the stitches are used up, and voila, I have a completed bodice.


I try it on, to check the size, and it's PERFECT! I love the look of this abbreviated version and promise myself to re-visit the design one day to transform it into a spencer (maybe with I-cord edging?)
Because I ended each half with a purl ridge, with the bind-off forming a valley between, the joining blends well into the garter stitch,


and will do so even better after blocking. You could, of course graft the two halves together, making sure to do so with the proper manoeuvres for the garter stitch version of Kitchener stitch, but I prefer the stability that the three-needle bind-off provides to the stretchiness of a sideways piece of knitting. See here for more on this. Tomorrow I'll concentrate on the collar.
P.S. I realize that I am quite likely knitting at a pace which is faster than that of many readers of this blog. It's because I have other projects I need to get on with for the fall season. Rest assured that throughout August and September I will continue to come back and check these KAL posts and respond to any questions or comments. So, take your time and enjoy the process. There's no need to rush!