Monday, May 28, 2012

Heating Up

Well, summer is finally on our doorstep. The days have been very warm, sometimes even hot, and my desire to work on Isabel's chunky tweedy jacket is waning. I'm taking a little break to have some more spinning practice. Here's what I spun yesterday, wound onto a toilet paper roll--yes, you read right. Necessity is the mother of invention and all that...


Sorry, I don't know the exact fibre content of what I'm working with, only that it's from Fleece Artist. The label was torn off when I purchased it, but it's likely BFL (Blue-Faced Leicester).
Over the weekend I used my Visa card points to rent a car for my trip to Perth. Had a lovely morning there, although I always feel that teaching at Janie H's is more like trying to control a party than leading a class! The little Ford Focus that I drove had amazing radio reception and I listened to NPR from Syracuse all the way. To my surprise, the weather report was given in Farenheit for Syracuse and environs, and then the announcer gave it in Celcius for their Kingston listeners. I know 27C is NOT hot by my old Washington, DC standards, but it's pretty hot for this neck of the woods.
Back home, I made my favourite supper for evenings when it's too hot to cook. Here it is in case you need something delicious in a hurry.


Black Bean and Corn Salad for One




½ c frozen corn niblets
½ c cooked black beans (I use no-salt added ones from a can, rinsed)
½ c diced green pepper
1 ripe tomato
½ clove garlic, minced
½ tsp cumin
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp lemon juice or red wine vinegar
1/8 tsp salt

Optional:
1 tbsp chopped red onion or scallions
¼ c diced Monterey  Jack cheese
1/4 avocado, diced

Toss all ingredients together and allow to sit for about 15 minutes for the corn to thaw and the flavours to blend.

Now, I'm looking longingly at the summer yarns in my stash and day dreaming about wearing this.

                                                 Sparrow by Pam Allen 

It's Sparrow, by Pam Allen, from last summer's Twist issue. Don't you feel cooler just looking at it?