Wednesday, November 23, 2011

On the Spur of the Moment

What a difference a day makes! This is what we woke up to this morning.


Perhaps it's the thought of the dark days of winter ahead--I got on the phone and purchased two (extremely expensive) tickets to the National Ballet's new production of Romeo and Juliet. The trailer and some other riveting videos are here. Prokofiev's music for this ballet is on my top ten favourite list. It's dark and brooding and completely unlike Tchaikovsky's more saccharine version. I'm going to take the train, meet up with James for lunch, go to the matinee, then hop on the evening train back to Kingston.
This morning, while the snow was still falling, I finished off the waffle socks. Then I stuck them on my feet and cast on a pair of socks of my own design as a Xmas gift for Isabel. The colour is a gorgeous deep emerald green. Isabel saw the wool and asked what I was making; I could tell she was attracted by the colour. I gave an evasive answer and, since she doesn't read this blog (usually), I think I'm OK. The pattern is a wavy rib pattern from Barbara Walker with an Elizabeth Zimmerman heel flap and heel. I'm going to call it "Cataraqui" after the river that flows through Kingston into Lake Ontario. I plan to work on it on the train. The more pressing question is, can I/should I knit during the ballet performance?
P.S. The Lucy Neatby workshop blog post will just have to wait.