Sunday, November 13, 2011

Like Weatherstripping

There's no denying the bite in the air now. Walking down my street toward the lakefront, with the wind blowing off the water, is becoming more unpleasant by the day. The chill seeps under coat collars and up cuffs. What to do? Fill those gaps with wool. It's rather like installing weather stripping on your front door! By doing so, I avoid having to drag out my winter coat by a few more weeks. It's astonishing how much warmer one feels with this wool "caulking". I suppose it's because necks and wrists are "pulse points". Whatever the reason, it's a great time to make a few more of these small pieces for yourself or as holiday gifts. Here are some ideas:

1. "Fetching",
     

2. and its companion piece, "Dashing",
     

3."Thermis",
        

4. and that classic, the "Baktus", in its many incarnations.
          

Note that I'm not talking about the currently fashionable big cowl-style scarves that drape so elegantly, but loosely. I'm talking about neckwear that cuddles right up to your ear lobes and covers your lower chin, the better to block cold air seepage.
I'm sure you have your own favourites. Let me know what they are; I'd love to try something new. And next week, I'll turn my attention to hats.